Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Dog is One Happy Pup!

We adopted our dog Sophie about 3 1/2 years ago. She was found in a ditch, paws stuck in frozen water. She was emaciated, fragile and scared to the bone. The rescuers took care of her for a few weeks before sending out word that she was perfect for adoption. At the time one of my best girl friends was volunteering at a nearby shelter and forwarded me the email she received announcing Sophie's adoption. Within a week we had Sophie home with us. In the beginning we struggled with her. She had severe separation anxiety and walked around with her tail between her legs 24 hours a day. She was obviously abused because any sudden move we made or loud noise heard she cowered and flinched. We had weeks of messes to clean up too. She'd "go" every time we put her in the laundry room. We gated it to give her her own space and had a doggy bed and blankets in there, the whole 9 yards. Whether we left the house or went to bed, we'd be greeted by a huge mess. That was until my shelter friend recommended we crate her. THIS was the answer to our prayers! At first I felt so bad putting her in a crate and locking her in.  Do you know the minute we put the darn thing up she walked right inside and made herself comfortable? Never had another issue from that moment on. I've learned that the crate gives the dog their own spot to feel safe.
My Sophie is benefiting from me being home more often. Before, she would have a few hours of loneliness between me going to work and my husband coming home from work. Now she's free as a bird! No crate needed! She and I have been able to hang. Dogs can totally sense what's up. She can tell things aren't right and she's been by my side nonstop. She also seems to get a few more treats in this situation. Wouldn't it be nice to be a dog? Then again, a Kat's life ain't that bad either. :)


                                                               Our girl, Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment